Thursday 13 June 2013

Rift - A New King Of Free To Play?

Its a little too soon to tell if Rift, Trion World's MMO, will become a leader in the F2P MMO genre, however it seems to be off to a strong start. Over the last 24 hours, since Trion Worlds set the latest game patch live, the game has been brimming with players, with server queues appearing frequently. Whether this short term popularity will last is still to be seen, however judging from the positive reaction from players so far, this game is posed to extend its new found success far into the future...

After playing this game both last night, and this morning, I found myself loving every second of gameplay. Something which I rarely get when I play an MMO game. The last time I enjoyed an MMO as much as this, was during my first session of World Of Warcraft, yet unlike the latter, this was free! The gameplay is one of the best in the traditional MMO genre; it offers fluid combat alongside a ton of content for users to smash through. 

With a preference of fast paced single player gameplay, this game seems to offer (up to the point which I have played to), a fast paced RPG experience. The content is plentiful and the 'Rifts' offer some great group play, at random encounter points. Above this, the 'Instant Adventure' feature allows players to instantly join customized quests, designed for group play. I found that this offered fast paced gameplay and kept things interesting. 

Most notably however, was the lack of focus on microtransactions. Not once did I find myself presented with messages asking me to buy from an in-game store. Nor, did I find myself feeling as though I needed to buy extra content from the store, unlike other F2P games, such as 'Lord Of The Rings Online', where I felt as though I was being constantly pressured by the game, to buy extra content...

Overall, the game provides a great experience and, I highly recommend you check it out! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment